USBIR6 requires PC to be on?

Forum to discuss Cinemar's USBIR6 IR hardware and plugin
TheCodeMan

USBIR6 requires PC to be on?

Postby TheCodeMan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:04 pm

I'm finally about to free up enough time to get my USBIR6 hooked up and running. After looking at some of my diagrams again, I have a question. Does the PC that contains the USBIR6 have to be running at all times for the IP signal to cross to from the receivers to the emitters? A simple question but it could be a show stopper for me since I use URC remotes in all my rooms in addition to MainLobby. If for some reason my MLServer goes down, does this mean my IR functionality will be down with it?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:54 pm

The PC has to be running.
Your MLServer PC should not stop working...fix the root problem (if any) and then you don't have to worry about that. Build the server for 24x7 reliability. Essential for seamless automation.

TheCodeMan

Postby TheCodeMan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:03 pm

My MLServer is built for reliability. Win2K3 Enterprise Server, mirrored drives, UPS, but unfortunately when you add PC software into the mix, bad things happen. Basically, if I lose my server for some reason, my entire IR network would collapse and my URC remotes would no longer work. I would not even want to imagine what my wife would do.

Could I possibly create two IR networks, one for MainLobby and one for my standard remotes? Any thoughts on this?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Yes, you could use a Xantech hub (or equivelent) to pass IR received by IR receivers to IR emitters connected to the hardware.

But, why bother. Don't put "PC" software on the server. Only the essentials. Don't treat it as a desktop, but as a controlled controller. No updates without testing, etc.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:28 pm

I just posted yesterday that you can GC-CGX IR Converter Cable, GC-100 to Xantech at http://www.globalcache.com/products/ir-receivers.html
to output your USBIR6 to a standard xantech network hub.

In this scenario you can pass commands from the USBIR6 to the xantech IR Hub and have the emmitters connected to the Xantech IR Hub.

What I am doing is I have 2 IR receivers in 2 other rooms (bedroom and downstairs den) and I use pronto remotes there. Their signals are sent upstairs and go in to the IR Receiver input on the Xantech hub. My USBIR6 also connects to the IR Receiver input using the cable above. All my emmitters come out of the xantech hub.

Now, if you are doing a lot of zone controlling with the USBIR6, this may not work, but essentially the rest of the house is on a seperate IR network. Full disclosure though. You can always loose a power supply brick on the xantech hub and the sig other may still go off on you :0

TheCodeMan

Postby TheCodeMan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 am

I was playing around last night with this and decided to run dual emitters to each component. One set of emitters is connect to a connecting block and will be run to my USBIR6, controlled via MLServer. The other set of emitters I connected to my URC RF-200. This seems to be the perfect solution, albeit a little pricey. If for some reason I lose my MLServer, remote commands will still work via my handheld remote. I plan on using this setup in two areas where components are located behind cabinets and out of sight.

Return to “USBIR6”