GC100 Serial port connection

A plugin that allows for end user development of multiple RS232 device control systems.
DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

GC100 Serial port connection

Postby DaveB » Sun May 11, 2008 2:37 pm

I am trying to connect to my device through the serial port on my GC100. Propblem is that when I attempt to set up my GC100 serial port, the MLGeneric does not pick up the fact that a serial port module is available. The following errors are thrown;

5/11/2008 3:32:24 PM MLGenericDevice Error Server Error 40020(Invalid operation at current state) @ Line 70 in procedure FindGCModules of modSharedCode
5/11/2008 3:32:24 PM MLGenericDevice Error Server Error 40020(Invalid operation at current state) @ Line 70 in procedure FindGCModules of modSharedCode

Is this feature truly implemented? I have known good connection to my GC100 and both serial ports are available.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun May 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Hear I go answering my own posts once more, but actually I wanted to expand on the above;

I need get my Matrix Audio MRC8 up and running with Cinemar. This is a cool multi zone amp made by a company that got purchased by AMX two years ago. I came across a very new unit, in perfect condition. This is a 4 in / 8 out / 40 Watts per zone / with 8 keypads and full IR routing. Very cool and the price was right.

Ok - Enough of that. The uinit communicates via slow serial at 4800 baud. I have it talking well with MLSerial, but I need to get it talking to this driver as I need some of the more advanced features.

I have two problems - The first is above in that I can not communicate through my GC-100. The second is, when using the serial port option, this plug-in has 1200, 2400, 9600 and up baud rates available. What the hell happened to 4800!! :shock:

So I need help with option number one or option number two above. It will be much appreciated, and once the scripting is done, maybe I will sell the second unit I also received to an interested ML user.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue May 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Guys; I know your are busy, and that you have many items on your plate. I also know that this plugin is not a favorite, and that you have hinted on not supporting it in the future;

All that said, I am not asking for help with the creation of my driver or script, I am simply asking for you to look at the operation of the plugin. I did pay for this plugin, like many others that I get support for, and this one is rough around the edges. There are items that simply do not work as advertised, are not documented or are simply missing.

I have requested support three times over the last four months, and have yet to get even so much as a response. Whats' up with that? This is not typical for your company.

(You might think that this is the HAI plugin or somthing!)
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Tue May 13, 2008 9:54 pm

Dave:

Sorry I missed these posts. Not sure how I did. The next version of MLGD has 4800 baud in it. Not sure how I missed that either. :oops:

The GC-100 detection is hit and miss, I still have not been able to figure that out. However, I am using MLGD with GC-100 and never had any issue once I set it up manually. Based on your error message it looks like it is have problems with the IP of your GC-100. It almosts looks like you dont have the device IP in the text box.

Let me know if the baud rate change solved your issue.

Tracy

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed May 14, 2008 7:30 pm

Trcy - That did it! Many many thanks. Now it is off to variable creation and scripting land. THis is a simple one as there is only about 10 primary commands, but I need to deal with the zone and source selection variables and all the response maps. Should be fun!

I tried once more with the GC port thing, but no response. I watched the IP, and the device is getting pinged, it is just not providing an expected response for some reason. It may be a devise firnware issue or a firewall problem. I have found at times that the GC interface is a bit off.

All this means is that I need to run and additional Cat5 from the rack to the head end. I should have run spares in the first place!!

Thanks once more.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Wow 700 posts - I have been around here to long...
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Glad it worked out. Let me know if you need anything else.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu May 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Tracy;

When writing a command with variables, can you name the variable, or must it be var1 and var2?

IE; Z<<var1>><<var2>> or Z<<zone>><<mode>>
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Thu May 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Has to be <<VAR1>> and <<VAR2>>. The plugin does not understand how to replace any other variable. If I remember correctly they need to be in CAPS.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri May 16, 2008 8:34 am

Great - That works. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat May 17, 2008 7:18 am

Tracy;
The WIKI needs serious work for this plug-in. Very simple things are either missing or incorrect in the WIKI. Lets start with the correct command format to send a command from a button to MLGD

The WIKI says;

For example if I have a command named zone_treble
The command is defined as *Z<<VAR1>>TREB<<VAR2>> in MLGD
The MLS command is mlservecmd.MLGenericDevice|Zone_Treble~2~12

This does not work; I think that the Device Alias is missing. I could have 5 devices with the same command name of zone_treble.

Where do I insert the Device Alias in the command;

MLServeCmd.MLGenericDevice|Zone_pwr~1~1 ???
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Sat May 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Appropriate Command is:

Code: Select all

MLGenericDevice|Device_Alias~Device_Command~Var1~Var2

Var1 and Var2 are optional commands. See if that works for you.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun May 18, 2008 9:23 am

Worked great - Many thanks. My MRC8 is alive and talking, well mostly talking. The response from the device is an information rich "OK" when any command is sent from the RS232 port. The only true value feedback from the device is generated when a user hits a keypad, and that response is hit or miss. I am having a tough time capturing the responses. See below:

Event Information - 3 - [0] =>
Event Information - 3 - [2] => ZZ
Buffer partially filled - Waiting for additional data
Buffer -
Event Information - 3 - [3] => 11

Buffer partially filled - Waiting for additional data
Buffer -

I can not seem to capture the ZZ11 (Zone On) command in the response. WHen a user hits a keypad, my variables are getting stranded.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Thu May 22, 2008 5:58 pm

I was getting the same errors when first trying my RC-8 via Global Cache.

Worked fine via serial.

Configure the plugin/driver to use the global cache. Configure the GC device via the webpage. Shutdown the webpage. Restart the ML server. Should then connect OK.

The error reporting is less than helpfull with MLGenericDevice.

Error 13 type mismatch means command terminator is incorrect, I had \13 not 13 setup.

Swapping between GC and serial also requires a restart of MLServer. Discovery doesn't work at all, even with the ports open on the firewall.

Hard coding does work after a restart.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu May 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Thanks! I will give it all a try.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Return to “MLGenericDevice”