User created drivers

A plugin that allows for end user development of multiple RS232 device control systems.
DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

User created drivers

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:53 am

ChrisB, DaveB
The .exe versions are installers that can auto install the zip file in the correct directory via MLInstaller's process. MLInstaller doesn't know what to do with a zip file.

So for example,

MLGD_PioneerElitePlasma50_Device_Setup.exe
installs
Pioneer_Elite_50.Zip
into the MLServer\Data directory.
MLGenericDevice plugin then can Import a file from that directory and auto unzips the files appropriately for use.

There is a MLGD_XantechZPR68_Device_Setup.exe
and a MLGD_XantechMR88_Device_Setup.exe
Xantech files available via MLInstaller.

I am hoping that more users will be using MLGD and sharing of device files once it is in production.

If Cinemar gets good feedback from users that a contributed device file works well, then we will wrap an installer around it and make it available via MLInstaller for ease of installation. As we develop device drivers, surely they too will be added (like several of the ones already in there).

Please move all discussion off of this thread, that was intended only for device sharing. Thnx

David;
I think that the problem is more with the way the directories are arranged in the installer. I would sugest that you make a new header for the user contributed drivers and get them out of the mix of ML created drivers. That would help seperate the two and actually make them easier to locate.

Chris; Yes, you previously sent me the driver, but it crashes the current version of MLGenericDevice and actually took MLServer down.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:27 am

Dave,
Do you mean you would rather have a seperate area within MLInstaller for the 3rd party contributed drivers? Seperate from the Cinemar "reviewed" drivers?

There is a 3rd party area, but we hesitate to do that. The idea of the sorting within the overall Driver area is to group similar together. I think we can give credit where credit is due in the Wiki that explains each device driver and who developed and contributed it.

Note that a non "Reviewed" driver won't be in MLInstaller. Cinemar has to put the driver in MLInstaller's view, and it is work to do each individual one and we will only be doing that on the final release where users say "it works great".

Am I understanding what you are saying correctly?

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 am

Yes; just a header for the reviewed drivers, seperated from the other items. It is tough figuring out which files are actually drivers on the list.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:39 am

You can also sort by "Family" which provides a type of supported device view, which is probably more important than "what MLGD device drivers are there". Because, you are more likely trying to see if "my hardware has a driver".

If there becomes a lot of MLGD drivers, then we can do that. There just isn't that many today.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:51 am

Got it - I just can not get my brain around the whole "family" thing.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:09 am

The "Family" thing is two things in Cinemar world:

It strives to help answer:
"What lighting controllers do you support?"
"What Satellite Radio receivers do you support?"

It is also a newer Cinemar standard for commands and variables:
Most lighting devices do On / Off / Dim....why would each plugin have a different way to do that....why would each plugin provide a status in a different syntax?
This is the "philosophy" of UPnP standard. Agree on what the commands and status messenging should be, then it's easier to build a command map or scene or automation event that you can swap out hardware, and replace it with a different brand that accomplishes similar task without having to recode everything.
Of course, each company's hardware does things beyond the basics for each Family, so our Cinemar "standard" gets extended.
Also, a particular hardware device might live in more than one family. Good example is the HAI OminPro which can live in "Security", as well as "Lighting" families.

MLServer3 supports the above, and as new plugins are introduced, you will start to see similarities. For example, MLInsteonPLM and MLZWave will be similar though developed by different developers.

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: User created drivers

Postby cborod » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:08 pm

[quote= Yes, you previously sent me the driver, but it crashes the current version of MLGenericDevice and actually took MLServer down.[/quote]

Ouch...sorry! Runs w/no issues for me BUT.....as they always say, your mileage may vary. Others have used it to build from but this is the first crash issue i have heard.

again....sorry the driver wasn't useful.

now to go back and re re read this thread....gotta say, i'm confused....seems to me that adding a user shared download area to mlinstaller that is divided into screens, swfs, drivers would be a sensible extension of what we already do in various forum settings....but like i said....need to re read....
ChrisB

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:26 pm

There already is a Drivers section. MLGD drivers shouldn't be organized any different than any other hardware driver. Unless there becomes a significant library of them.

People don't really care what flavor a driver is (custom plugin or generic device), what is most important is "Do you support XYZ hardware?"

Return to “MLGenericDevice”