Can't save changes after editing device

A plugin that allows for end user development of multiple RS232 device control systems.
jstaab

Can't save changes after editing device

Postby jstaab » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:38 pm

Using 3.0.367, after editing a device, the OK button is grayed out, thus you can't save your edits to the device.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:13 pm

Do you have license to add that device? Is the plugin expired? Have you been updating the database along with the plugin? Export your devices, change the name of the database (as backup) and then reupdate the plugin and database. Then, import your devices you previously exported.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:07 am

I'm not sure I follow, I'm using the device, thus it is a valid device and not expired. I selected the device and needed to make a change to it, but found that the OK button was disabled. This is the first and only install of the plug-in, thus the plug-in and the database match. I can't edit and save the default devices that ship with the plug-in either. I deleted one of them so I could add mine.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:25 pm

Ah, discovered the bug, if you want to call it that. If you are out of licenses, then the ok button is disabled on the edit screen, even if you are editing an existing device. Once I deleted one of the existing devices, which freed up a license, I could then edit an existing device and save it. Pretty easy to duplicate, fire up a stock install in evaluation mode, try to edit one of shipped devices, it won't let you.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:05 pm

The license is absolute on the number of devices that can be edited. If you have zero licenses, no edits to any. If you have one license, only the first one, etc.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:02 pm

What, you've lost me. If I have two licenses, thus two devices, I should be able to make changes to them, say I want to change the COM port or the terminator. Right now, if I decide to make a change, I have to delete the device and start over and lose all my commands which is a royal pain. Exporting and re-importing doesn't get you anywhere because you still can't edit the device after it has been imported. Just enable the OK button is all I'm asking. Maybe this is just another bug in evaluation mode again.

smoothtlk wrote:The license is absolute on the number of devices that can be edited. If you have zero licenses, no edits to any. If you have one license, only the first one, etc.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:15 pm

Plus, using your logic that if you are out of licenses means you can't edit any devices, how is someone suppose to make changes to a device they downloaded from Cinemar? If a user has one license left, and they import a device they downloaded, which uses that license, then they can't edit the device they just imported to suite their needs, or edit any of their existing devices for that matter. This simply doesn't make sense.

smoothtlk wrote:The license is absolute on the number of devices that can be edited. If you have zero licenses, no edits to any. If you have one license, only the first one, etc.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:05 am

Yet another small, somewhat related problem. Under trial, I had a basic and an advanced device. I purchased two advanced devices. After installing the two advanced licenses, my basic device disappeared. But, it is still in the database as I can't add it back as it tells me there is already a device defined with the alias, but yet I can't see it. And to make matters worse, the database is password protected, so I can't fix manually fix it either. So, I had to re-add the device under a new name and go fix everything that referenced it which was a pain. Why wouldn't it allow me to see the basic device since I technically had a advanced license that covered it?

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:04 pm

Ok, let me ask this again, how do you edit a device? I need to change the COM ports for my two devices and can't.

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:49 pm

editing com port is straightforward

right click the plugin in the mlserver plugins screen.
Choose settings
First screen that appears shows your devices in table format
at lower portion of this view is a row of buttons.
First button - add a device
Secon Button - edit a device

Click edit

This brings up the edit device box

Communications parameters allows selection of the com port and its characteristics.

hth
ChrisB

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:51 pm

Yes, but the OK button is grayed out, thus you can't save your change.

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:08 pm

sorry...i misunderstood.

greyed out ok button.......that would be an issue.

mine allows editing and saving. can't explain that.....needs Cinemarspeak :?
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:27 pm

If you have a free license, then the OK button is enabled. The problem is, I have two licenses, both are used, I just need to edit both devices. The logic on the OK button is flawed as far as I'm concerned.

cborod wrote:sorry...i misunderstood.

greyed out ok button.......that would be an issue.

mine allows editing and saving. can't explain that.....needs Cinemarspeak :?

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:41 pm

agree with the "flawed" observation, thus the cinemarspeak comment.

as a workaround you could try this

export the other device.
delete it
edit the errant device.
save your changes
import the other device.

sloppy, tiresome, and imo unnecessary, but it might work
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:46 pm

I agree sounds like a programming flaw. :oops: I will take a look at this weekend and try to see if I can fix it.

Sorry
Tracy

Return to “MLGenericDevice”