WOL from ouside plugin

Application to monitor and control PCs on the LAN
kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

WOL from ouside plugin

Postby kirkfrey » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:37 pm

When I "wake" my clients via the plugin, "system information" tab they work fine but when I try to issue the command thru MLs it doesnt work.

I am using the following command:
MLServeCmd.MLWMIServer|WOL~BYName~dualie.smallfrey.net

I have tried FQDN and just the system name, neither seem to work.
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:45 pm

Kirk, that can't be the Windows name. Try the Windows PC name for the PC you want to wake. Best is to use the static IP address .

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:51 pm

"dualie.smallfrey.net" is the fully qualified name, the system name is just "dualie". neither work. I'd really rather not have to switch to static IP's, its a pain to manage
Kirk

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:57 pm

what is the name ML gave it in the variables? mlwmi_<name>_<variable>

whatever is in the <name> section should work......should......
ChrisB

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:01 pm

yes, whatever name is in the WMI Plugin WOL tab.
Go to static IP.....well worth it.
DHCP is the headache.

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:11 pm

They show up as "dualie". but that doesnt work. I will have to see if I think its worth switching my devices over to static IP's. Right now, I am not sure its worth the extra headache just to get this to work.

so, "BYName" with DHCP is not supported by the plugin? I would have thought if the MLS could resolve the name to the IP address there wouldnt be a problem.
Kirk

cborod

Postby cborod » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:20 pm

I think I may have sort of an answer.....

You said the wol works from the plugin direct. That's because the plugin knows the mac address.....and when the machine is off it has no IP, just a mac address.

Since it works from the plugin directly.....what is the client trying to send? sounds like a disconnect between client and plugin at the server.

Again....since the plugin worked......it has to be something in the instruction the plugin translates when it receives a WOL request from a client.

Client requests WOL from MLServer for machine <name>
MLServer must resolve that machine name to a MAC address in order to send a WOL command. So....it should look up its table and resolve name to MAC
MLServer issues WOL command to MAC address NOT IP address!!!!
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 pm

It is supported. It is just a very popular networking / policies, etc problem with PCs. The IP is what is really being used. The PC name etc is just sugar coating. IP eliminates lots of possible issues that are hard to track down. It's real easy to test. Just do a IPconfig /all in a DOS window on the PC you want to WOL. then, copy down it's current IP address. Then, reconfigure that PC with the same IP address in Network configuration. If XP, no reboot needed on close of network properties windows. Do another IPconfig /all to make sure the IP is what you put in.

Reboot and double check that the bios is setup to WOL. Not all PCs can do this BTW.

Make sure the PC shows up in MLSErver WMISErver plugin. Enable WOL from the client PC (the one you want to wake). Do a data poll in WMIClient. Then, shut down the client and try sending mlserver the command for WOL to that IP.

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:11 am

Hold it now, how a client gets an IP address has nothing to do with WOL functionality (I did reset the IP to a static and it still didn’t work, I even rebooted just for grins). We have 120,000 desktops that ALL have DHCP addresses and all (ok most) can be woken up via WOL so DHCP is not an issue here.

All that WOL has to do with IP is that the system sending the “magic packet” needs to know how to get it to the system to be woken up – that is to say, it needs the targets MAC address. So, since the MLS has the client in its ARP table (it did, I checked) there should be no issue. I would also assume that MLWMI does not rely on the ARP table to contain the MAC address and that it would store the MAC address that the MLWMI Client app sends it and uses that to create the magic packet – possibly a bad assumption but it does not appear to matter since my MLS did have the correct MAC address of the target system in its ARP table.

So, since we know that the GUI version of MLWMI can wake this client – even when its set to DHCP which doesn’t matter – and the MLS command does not, it would seem that there is an issue in the code someplace that the GUI calls but that isn’t implemented in the MLS portion.

Has anyone with any configuration been able to wake a client by name thru the MLS command, I would guess no:
MLServeCmd.MLWMIServer|WOL~BYName~{insert client name here}
Kirk

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:14 am

just for giggles.....can you try the command but in the name field.....put the mac address......

The server should broadcast the packet.....even if it isn't in the arp table.....although having it in arp will make the transaction faster.

just a hunch.
ChrisB

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:47 am

I can, tonight when I get home.

I thought the magic packet was a unicast? Or is it just a matter of how the "app" generates the packet. I haven't been in the stack in 4 years so I could be remembering wrong.
Kirk

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:21 pm

......magic packet (used for WOL) is a UDP broadcast packet.

Things that interfere with WOL

crossing a router......because routers are usually configured to drop directed broadcast packets.

Blocking of port 0......many/most WOL use port 0 and firewalls typically block this port.

NIC does not support WOL.

Seems that none of these apply to you since it worked from the server console.

Again.....I don't think it is the plugin itself, but rather, its interpretation of the target. It will not work if its target is a netbios/wins/dns name or ip address. WOL only works with MAC address.

and for the first and last time I'll add some credentials.......cause this is how I spend my day job.....not bragging.....just backing up my talk with my walk.....

ChrisB
mcse2000, mcse2003, ccna
ChrisB

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:33 pm

thanx ChrisB, appreciate the expertise shared.

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:18 pm

If you look in the SYSTEM INFORMATION tab, it will show you the relationship between IP, NAME and MAC address. Basically all WMI does is lookup up the MAC address based on the either the IP or Name. You should be able to use either the name or IP to lookup the MAC (ie, byname or byIP).

If the name of the computer is present on the table, then WMI should wake the PC. Please note there appear to be many different variations for turning on WOL. Maybe BIOS settings, or driver settings. I have one machine on my network that doesn't like to respond eventhough, it appears that I have everything setup correctly. Seems to be very BIOS and NIC dependent.

Hope this helps.
Tracy

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:59 pm

It also appears that turning the screen saver on/off by name doesnt work:
MLServeCmd.MLWMIServer|ScreenSaver_On~BYName~dualie does not work

This does
MLServeCmd.MLWMIServer|ScreenSaver_On~BYIP~10.1.4.1 (dualie's IP address) does.

I can ping "dualie" from a command prompt and get the correct IP address back so I know its not a DNS issue. No Firewall/router between the two.

Thoughts?

Also, Shutdown doesnt work by name. seems like there must be something that is missing in the code...
Kirk

Return to “MLWMI”