Update files remotely with MLWMI client/server

Application to monitor and control PCs on the LAN
Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Update files remotely with MLWMI client/server

Postby Funboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Is there some way to remotely (from the server) have the client update the source files?

I know you can do it by clicking on the Update Files in the client app, but it would be great if it you could have that kicked off remotely via MLServer.
- Funboy

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Try the "UPDATE_FILES" command. Should be similar syntax to other WMI commands.

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Tried that...and it did something really wierd...it shutdown Mainlobby on the client touchscreen.

The command I executed was: MLWMIServer|Update_files~BYIP~192.168.1.74

And when executed from MLServer, it shutdown the Mainlobby application on the touchscreen (windows was still running).

Any idea why? Is this a bug?
- Funboy

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:31 pm

No, it is doing that on purpose. The tool was setup to update .mls files. In order to do this, it need to shut down mainlobby before replacing files. It should restart it again when it is finished.

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:38 pm

Okay, it looks like the files are definitely being updated with that command. However MainLobby is not being restarted.

I turned on logging on the WMIClient application and there was an error in the log:

Error Type mismatch - (13) @line 200 in procedure WarnData of modWrite

I'm not quite sure if this error would cause the problem with Mainlobby not restarting.

BTW...my WMIClient version is 3.0.54
- Funboy

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:50 pm

That is error is because you dont have a value in the drive percentage box. Can you send me a screen shot of your "Warning Message" tab? I need to look at a couple of things on that tab.

Thanks
Tracy

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:32 pm

Okay, I got it working.

What I didn't know that you had to do was...on the warning tab, you had to ensure that Mainlobby was checked.

When it was not checked, mainlobby would not restart. When I checked it, it restarted properly.

Works great now. However I still do have the error message I reported earlier. I've attached my warning messages tab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Funboy

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Put a number of the watched drives % box. That will fix you problem. I usually use 5 or 10 depending on when I want notified of a filled drive.

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:51 am

Excellent. That worked in getting rid of the error message.

Since I've got your ear, another oddity that would be nice to get fixed....

Within MainLobby we have the ability to set the client name. I typically make the computer name the same as the client name I set in Mainlobby. But there is a problem with that.

WMIClient does not use the mainlobby client name, instead it uses the computer name set in your OS. The problem with this is that the computer name is limited (by NETBIOS standards) to 15 bytes. So in some cases the computer name gets truncated. The Mainlobby client name has no such limitations.

Is there anyway to get WMIClient to use the Mainlobby client name when setting the MLServer variables? Or use the Windows networking name rather than the NETBIOS name?
- Funboy

Return to “MLWMI”