NEW - MLHAI Plugin and Agent

Plugin for the HAI family of security panels
Clever1

Re: NEW - MLHAI Plugin and Agent

Postby Clever1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 am

I still get random crashes when the agent loads. Have not been able to trace the crashing to a single event. The agent will even crash just during a normal update from the panel from time to time. I have an older OMNI PRO II (non-flashable) with 3.1 firmware.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:09 am

In every case I have traced so far the Agent has gone away because the HAI dll has received some bit of data from the panel that it doesn't know how to deal with and the DLL crashes. When that happens it takes the Agent with it. I'm hoping by the time HAI releases a non-beta version of their SDK those types of issues are resolved.

rpalori

Postby rpalori » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:52 pm

I just cant get the new MLHAI Agent and the MLHAI Plugin to work with my OmniLT with 3.1 firmware. When I use new updated Agent and Plugin ML is unable to log into my HAI panel. When I go back to older Agent and Plugin no problems except some lighting control variable issues. Im glad I keep a copy of the older Agent and Plugin.

OmniLT 3.1 with serial connection.

Works with
HAI Plugin 3.0.18
HAI Agent 3.0.3166.31952

Does not with
HAI Plugin 3.75.2
HAI Agent 3.75.3629.22404

Does anybody have any ideas?

Ryan

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Does the agent event log have anything interesting in it?

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:13 am

In every case I have traced so far the Agent has gone away because the HAI dll has received some bit of data from the panel that it doesn't know how to deal with and the DLL crashes. When that happens it takes the Agent with it. I'm hoping by the time HAI releases a non-beta version of their SDK those types of issues are resolved.

Dave, this seriously needs to be resolved between Cinemar and HAI. If there's a problem with HAI's SDK and subsequent dll then I would suspect all products (HS, CQC, etc.) would be having these same problems but that does not seem to be the case. Hoping for a working, non-beta version of the SDK is simply putting this once again on the back burner. I can't imagine that a little concentrated work between you and HAI can't completely resolve all the problems with this plugin. As I mentioned before, I bought this plugin 4 years ago and it has never worked. If you have no intention of ever providing a working HAI plugin, please give me the courtesy of letting me know so I'll stop wasting my time.

Rick

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Rick, Dave and all;

My viewpoint is this; I have used, am using and have implemented three other systems with the very current HAI version with absolutely no issues at all. In every case, stability is to the point of forgetting that the driver is running. I do not know if the design is different, in that bad calls are not allowed, of if the protocol is different and more error tolerant.

I can attest that others drivers are working with the current HAI version. I am not a programmer, so that is as far as I can take it. If it is not working, then it is driver related, not DLL or HAI related, period.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:49 am

One cannot compare our agent with CQC or HS. I have not seen their source code and they have not seen ours. From the documentation I have read I suspect I am trying to do a lot more with the agent then they are. Perhaps the agent needs to be seriously dumbed down? However I cannot diagnose issues in a vacuum. I have a very limited test panel that I use for development. The agent has been running on my test server talking to the test panel for over three months and hasn't logged a single issue and is still controlling the panel. Now, this is a test panel and it is not running in the real world. That's the limitations. The agent has the ability to log everything to a file. To this day I have not received one log file from anyone. Receiving log files will help. I'm between a rock and a hard place here. I want to make everything work but unless I know why and how things don't work I cannot fix it. I can easily dumb down the agent. Tell me what bits of data the I'm trying to get from the panel are of no use to you and I'll remove them.

ricks

Postby ricks » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:57 am

Dave,

Not to minimize the effort it takes to get this working but I really don't think there's any magic required with the HAI panel. Again, not to simplify it, but isn't it just a case of acquiring variables from the panel and sending commands from the agent? In my case, and some others, just trying to establish a link fails. Also in my case, there is no log because it doesn't get that far.

As for dumbing it down, I think that makes sense as a development process. For each phase of the process the goal should be to get it working for the OMNI II (me), the OMNILT (ryan), the OPII (non-flash, clever1) and the latest OPII (DaveB), all on 3.1 or later.

1. Success in establishing uninterrupted communication and report system variables (no zones, units, tstats, events, etc) via serial and network. This is the key phase. If this doesn't work then everything else is moot.
2. Success in reporting zones, units, tstats, events, etc via serial and network with no agent commands.
3. Success in sending commands from the agent to the panel via serial and network.
4. Success in setting panel variables via serial and network.

I know it sounds basic and simplified but without gettting success on each phase for several days, especially establishing the initial connection, we'll never have a working plugin.

Rick

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:50 pm

CinemarDave wrote:One cannot compare our agent with CQC or HS. I have not seen their source code and they have not seen ours.

Welll, lets straighten this out once an for all; Since your are spilling names, which I always avoid, I am comparing you to CQC, Elan, Vantage Controls, J9, and Control4. Have I seen there code; Yes, the ones that do provide open code, as most now do in an open driver development environment, which you do not do. Does there version of the driver work; Yes, 100% of the time with LOW memory/processor usage, no agents and no issues at all. For the record, I have not used HS in 6 years.

CinemarDave wrote:From the documentation I have read I suspect I am trying to do a lot more with the agent then they are. Perhaps the agent needs to be seriously dumbed down?

I have said this many times to you. Most of the data you have exposed will never be used on any real system. The basics must work 100% all the time like thermostat control, light control, zone awareness and arm / disarm. You still do not have these covered. You could easily fix this. Introduce a checkbox for overall "Basic" data and "Extended" data that would easily disable the non-essential stuff. Also, and this will draw complaints; Most others gave up on serial communications, adding a footnote to there current driver version that states "TCP Only". They apparently all ended up with the same DLL issues you are into.

CinemarDave wrote:However I cannot diagnose issues in a vacuum. I have a very limited test panel that I use for development. The agent has been running on my test server talking to the test panel for over three months and hasn't logged a single issue and is still controlling the panel. Now, this is a test panel and it is not running in the real world. That's the limitations.

Get a new panel with all the bells and whistles, including some test access control, test UPB switches, and an extended thermostat. A large part of your entire software package is relying on it.

CinemarDave wrote:The agent has the ability to log everything to a file. To this day I have not received one log file from anyone. Receiving log files will help. I'm between a rock and a hard place here. I want to make everything work but unless I know why and how things don't work I cannot fix it. I can easily dumb down the agent. Tell me what bits of data the I'm trying to get from the panel are of no use to you and I'll remove them.

I can provide you data once I am done with a large CQC project. My one test server does not run both programs well due to many connectivity issues with all the same devices. Others must do the same, that is if you have a large pile of others that are using the product. I am not sure that you do. My largest frustrations are 80% overall ability, large memory usage/ processor hits and the agent. I hate agents of any kind.

Also, get yourself listed as an approved HAI partner like most of your competition has. You guys do not do enough of this.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

rpalori

Postby rpalori » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:03 am

Sounds like this is going no where. One of the reasons I started using Cinemar is because of the release of the HAI plugin. Its been almost 4 years of waiting, testing and troubleshooting this plugin hoping it would work. Those hopes are just about gone. I dont understand why other automation systems can interface with HAI without problems but Cinemar is still having problems.

I think its time to pass the ball and just have HAI write this plugin for Cinemar. This will create a better interface with less problems.

If there is a money issue. Work a deal with HAI so they get a percentage of plugins sold.

You already have my money and my time spent for something I can not use.

Mario, somebody please fix this problem for us who have been more than patient.

Ryan

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 pm

In true fairness to my comments above, the current version works fairly well with a TCP connection. Connectivity is rock solid. Below is my list of issues still at hand;

1. Thermostat adjustibility is hit or miss.
2. Lighting control needs serious help and focus
3. Extended Thermostat data needs work
4. Panic functionality needs to be exposed
5. Periods of high CPU usage due to the agent

So this is a fairly short list. About 100 things work just fine. Now this is from my data and the data of 6 of my customers using the same version and I am, so this is data from seven nearly identical systems and I installed them all.

What I am not judging this driver on;

Serial communication and connectivity;

I simply do not use it nor do I implement it in my installations. I know it still has many problems, but these problems are reported to be due to issues on the HAI end as it relates to the current 3.1 spec. Most in this industry have two versions of the driver; one for serial and on for TCP. The serial one is very limited in nature.

What have I not tested with ML/MLS and HAI;

Audio
Access Control
Multiple Areas
Z-Wave switches

So am I frustrated; Yes due to my five items at the top. Can I sell and install the product in a customer account; Yes, but with some limitations that should not exist.

ANd Ryan; Will HAI assist in writing a driver for there product; Not to a somewhat perceived competitor in this very tight space. Dave P is lucky if he gets a call back. It is a very strange market sector.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

ricks

Postby ricks » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:12 am

As far as I'm concerned the entire UN can discuss this thing until the flipping cows come home but all I want is an answer from DaveP, am I wasting my time with Cinemar on this thing?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:23 am

Ricks, I will spend all day Friday on your PC. See my PM.

ricks

Postby ricks » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks Dave,

I'll setup LMI and PM you in the morning.

Rick

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Dave - one other thing I have noticed in the most current version. After a restart, the agent will not start listening automatically. Previously you had a behind the scenes timer set to auto-start this function.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Return to “MLHAI”