NEW - MLHAI Plugin and Agent

Plugin for the HAI family of security panels
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NEW - MLHAI Plugin and Agent

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:35 pm

Here is what I found out during today's test with confirmation from HAI via their forum.

I noticed that on Ricks system the panel was connecting and responding to commands but there was no feedback coming back. When I polled the panel the information came back and was correct. So something was amiss with the automatic notifications coming from HAI.

I posted a message on the HAI forum and I was told that the way the new HAI dll was written that it will only generate automatic notifications when you connect via TCP/IP. If you connect via a serial port then it disables the automatic notifications. This is pretty bad news for serial users since it means that I will have to go back to the old school way of polling everything on the panel to get its current status. This essentially turns back the clock to day one for serial users. You can now see why some vendors have chosen to only support TCP connectivity.

There is nothing in their documentation that talks about this limitation. This came as a surprise. I was really hoping to get away from all the polling and system instabilities that come with it.

How painful a process is adding tcp/ip to those panels that do not have it? Is it an addon board like in the Elk or are we talking swapping out panels?

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the update. Makes sense. Upgrading an HAI panel is not an option. The only way to add ip is to buy a new $700+ panel. It doesn't make sense to waste time rewritting any of the new plugin for serial. Is it possible to keep the old plugin for serial and just get it to stop hanging and maybe adding the "minimize on startup" option?

Obviously, the easiest option, and the most ethical is for HAI to provide the same functionality for serial in their dll that they provide with ip. Apparently a conscience decision was made to save programming hours by eliminating the serial code update. I'll pass on my sincere thanks to them.

Rick

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:10 pm

What I'm going to do is bring back the old plugin and clean it up a bit and people with serial control will be able to use that version. The new plugin going forward will only support TCP connections.

rpalori

Postby rpalori » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:06 am

Dave I like the ideas of cleaning up old plugin and making it work with serial only. Please add the minimize at startup because the version I am using does not have that option. Make the new plugin just TCP/IP only like you said so there is no confusion.

Call the plugins -
MLHAISerial - Serial connections only
MLHAITCP - TCP connections only

My number one problem with older plugin is it is about 80% working. For example when I turn my 2 way SmartLinc lights on and off or dim its a hit or miss.
Examples:
I can turn lights on or off no problem
I cant dim lights up or down but thru alarm panel it works
I dont receive lighting level variables from HAI panel to MLServer
I do receive lighting level on or off variables but they are inconsistent and change back and forth to on or off after each poll request.

I hope you can go back to old plugin/agent soon and tweak for me and others with serial connections. And possibly take out TCP code or unused code not needed for serial connections to make it more dependable. I am currently back to using plugin 3.0.18 because it works besides a few issues. You can remote in anytime if you would like to test on my system.

Ryan

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:39 am

Dave,
If there is any good news here it is that you now have an answer and direction. Bet you wish you could have all those hours back!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

ricks

Postby ricks » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:28 pm

I noticed that on Ricks system the panel was connecting and responding to commands but there was no feedback coming back. When I polled the panel the information came back and was correct. So something was amiss with the automatic notifications coming from HAI.

Hey Dave,

What command did you use to poll the panel? I see no "Request Zone Status" in the command builder.

Rick

Return to “MLHAI”