Plugin Installation Notes

Plugin for the HAI family of security panels
DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Plugin Installation Notes

Postby DaveB » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi All;
I decided to share a portion of what I went through to get the driver working in MLS.

First - the connection; I first tested the serial connection to my HAI panel locally (ie; standing in front of the panel with my laptop). All was fine. I then extended the connection to my rack where my MLS server is located. All checked fine with my network tester, but this is where the problems started.
I had several failed attempts (which by the way crashed MLS every time), only to figure out that the patch cord from my wall plate to the HAI serial adaptor DB9 plug should not be a straight through cord; It should be crimped 180 deg. out (ie reversed pins on each end of the cord).

Ok, so now I got connection to the port, but the fun was just starting; when I attempted to log in, it failed due to bad ID and yes CRASHED MLS once more. When I say CRASH, I mean dead stop crash with no log created. This attampt was with using my existing Master Code.

After consulting with Chris, I made all my codes 1111 (Master, pcaccess, admin) and attempted to connect once more. You guessed it - CRASH!

Well the plot thickened later last night. I went over everything once more, reconnected with PCAccess and all. I found nothing wrong.

I then rebooted the server, and started MLS. MLHAI magically connected with not an issue. I modified some of the zones and re-wrote the variables, and all was fine. I only had the time to bring up some of my thermostat and temperature displays for testing and all was still working today when I left for work.

Only thing I can think of is the bad attempts must have someplace been cached, which kept crashing MLS, or the HAI serial port was in lockout mode as it was about an hour (was watching Packers loose) prior to trying. The fact that a plugin crashes MLS is very bad. That should NEVER happen.

My next test is going to be to play with the codes. I have 1111 everyplace and will either change all to somthing else or go back to individual codes, which is what I want. I think that all three must be the same (for now), but can be somthing other than 1111. I will report back.

I can not wait until the new driver is available. :D
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:01 pm

After some more time to test the implementation of the existing version of this driver, I want to expand on the above message;

There are three major code catagories in every existing HAI panel that is BIOS version 2.15 or older. Note that this will change with the next major version release as polling with change.

1. Master Code - This is the highest level code in the HAI panel and has access to everything
1a. User Code - This is the code that users of the system use for arming and disarming the system. Note that this code is not documented in this version of the HAI driver package.
2. PC Access Code - just as the name says, it was designed to allow a PC to access the panel and make changes and see status and to allow access with HAI's PC Access software, which has 2 versions available, USER and DEALER.
3. Installer code - This code allows the panel installer access to the specific panel setup like zones and name changes via HAI's keypad or the additional functionality of the DEALER version of PC Access software. This way, you can allow a customer access to a panel via PC Access, but they can not change the major config settings, just things like names, codes and so on.

So, with the issues in the prior post getting initially connected, I decided to test the driver to see which of the above codes are actually being used. Note that the WIKI documentation is not exactly correct in it's terminology of the above code types. I will look into changing it for now.

Initially, I could not get the panel to connect without changing all three codes above to 1111. Once initially connected however, I was able to change the Master Code back to my protected code (somthing other than 1111) and still make connection.

After more testing, I was able to change the installer code to somthing other than 1111, and get connection. I did find a problem with this however. You will not have the ability to arm and disarm the system. You can change temperature, activate relays, turn lights on and off, but not arm the system.

More to come.....
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “MLHAI”