I cant even get a light to turn on. HELP please !!!

Plugin for the HAI family of security panels
Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:02 am

rick, well I have to admit that is a bit discouraging. My whole goal is not for super automation for my own home but application for business use. Not so much commercial but for customers homes. I am busting butt to learn this to make money. While some may say "well dont use on-q or hai." Thats not a sufficient answer as I am committed to On-q for my own reasons.

I have only one zone, one thermostat and an alc scene card hooked up. So my plugin is only polling a couple items. NO other options are checked for polling. Its internal issues with the plugin on slowness. Its GOT to be addressed or my home will be the only application for this software and that is disheartening as I really like ml. I dont even know how mls polls my alc as I dont see an option in mls to indicate that i even have alc.

On0q calls their alc "units" but it appears in mls units pertain to other lighting. in ml i dont even use "alc" as that doesnt work, i have to call my lights "unit" which i dont understand as there is an option for alc in ml. my "units" in ml will not dim. but if i call them "alc" they will dim down, but not partially, they will dim down all the way! one of the biggest uses for me with ml is being able to show floor plans and control the lighting system. if i cant dim, then its not lighting control system i want. i will have as much programming over lighting as i can in the actual on-q hardware. i want to use ml simple to show status and dim or on/off.

and you are right on the thermostat issues. i will never put this in a paying customers home if they have to wait several seconds to see changes. its not tolerable. as far at your incrimental issues, there must be a way to do this with ml as their gui has the arrow keys. i cant imagine ml would show the buttons if they are not able to be programmed to do what they are intended to do. the whole purpose of having the gui's that cost extra on top of the plugin is to USE them instead of the console. There MUST be a way to make that happen.

the best thing to happen would be for the timing issues to be fixed by cinemar. without that fix my dealership could be out the window and back to a DIY. I am really really starting to like the software as i become more comfortable with it, but if it cant do what it needs to do, then it will remain a cool toy and not a profit center for me. thats a bummer. all this time and effort to get past the learning curve just for my own home? thats not what i want. i want to give people super systems that they love, that make their lives more enjoyable and of course make money in the process.

I am sure they are aware of all this. Confident its being tossed around. They have other pictures to look at as well and unfortunately for some, it will boil down to what makes more business and profit sense for Cinemar and not each individual user/dealer. But thats business and it makes perfect sense. There is no way around unless there is huge venture capital money tossed in, loans, personal money, a merger or a buyout. Mainlobby cannot be mainstream until its more user friendly and it works just as easy as walking up to a physical control panel.

The ease of use CAN come. I can see a package that has drop down menus whereby you pick what goes where, what does what, etc. No more syntax, no more having to KNOW "O" means off, "2" means fan, no more knowing you MUST use ! { | etc. While its not rocket science to learn this, its not for sally next door. The big bucks wont be there until mass markets can use it with EASE. It CAN be done, but it takes lots of money and confidence it will grow marketshare to get that money back. Look at some of the other software, on-q for example. You simply hit the when, if, and if button and it does the rest. Not saying its mainstream easy but I didnt even have to look at the book. That says something.

Long live ML. Its cool, it CAN be slick. It can be mainstream. Not there yet though. Lets all hope its on the right path coz it sure can be.

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:52 am

ML is definitely a lot of fun and can become very addicting. I believe it does a very good job on home theatre (I guess that's why its called Cinemar)!!! Although I own DVDLobby I've never had an opportunity to use it but I believe that's where it really shines. You may want to explore that area.

I think its mostly been in the past year or so that more automation-based plugins have been developed: lighting, security, climate, etc. If you don't mind running more than one app, try HomeSeer or HAL for the automation heavy work and use ML for the front end. MLHSPlugin ($49) works great and I believe there is a similar plugin for HAL. So what's another learning curve, right?

Enjoy,
Rick

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:12 am

Rick thats a GREAT suggestion. And its common knowledge of each of their strengths. Homeseer for back end, mainlobby for front end. Even each company knows each others strengths. BUT, Cinemar CAN be the backend strength TOO should it chose. I think that is their goal and thats where they are going. It would be a wise move, IMO. If they dont, you can bet homeseer can or will opt to make their product a front end as well. To stay competitive you have to BE competitive. I do NOT want to see Cinemar lose that race. I am willing to give cinemar that chance, see what they have to say, see whats coming out and try to stick with just one company. FOR NOW, lol.

too much headache to learn one let alone more, BUT if thats what it takes in the VERY near future, then thats exactly what I will HAVE to do. I will have no choice. Cinemar may see that as "well they are still using our product so we are fine." Thats a fine stance until homeseer or another competitor comes up with a front end and back end solution. Then, that stance makes marketshare go bye bye. I dont see cinemar going bye bye, i see them saying something like "here is what we HAVE to do and this is what will get us market share and make us money." After all, isnt most companies goal marketshare and profitability with a future plan of cashing out?

Return to “MLHAI”