MLHAI|TS bug, Omnistat T-stats

Plugin for the HAI family of security panels
19rookie83

MLHAI|TS bug, Omnistat T-stats

Postby 19rookie83 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Lots of exciting stuff happening with the integration of the HAI plugin with the system we are working on. The security end of it is great, now we are working on the Thermostats and having a bit of a problem.

To spec before describing the issue we are using an:
Omni Pro II, firmware 2.5 revC
Omnistat T-stats

I can set the mode and the fan, but am unable to control the temp set points using any of the commands that I found. I know that they are talking to ML cause the variables are updating with the current temp, set points, mode, fan and so on.

When I use MLHAI|TS~5~XX~9 <- for t-stat 9, I can see the heat setpoint change in the PC Access software that I have for the HAI, but then half a second later the PC Access software shows it is as being back to the old value. I have tried setting the heatpoint with both the TS~3 and TS~5 command, as well as using the CTSP commands.

Have tried using these command with both the PC Access software open and closed and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It is as if the panel is getting the change command but the actual t-stat is not getting it.

Wondering if anyone else is able to get this to work? Or if my command list is out of date?

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 pm

I found that if the Tstat was in hold mode it did this to me. Curiously enough, I found that I could adjust set points on the thermostat itself while it said hold. I am not quite sure what the hold function is supposed to do???
Last edited by jpimentel on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

John

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:47 pm

You said you were able to set modes, I am having difficulting setting the mode to "Auto". I am using this command:

MLHAI|TS~0~3~2

This should set Tstat #2 to mode 3 (auto) but it seems to do nothing.

Any ideas?
Regards,

John

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:55 am

My understanding of the HOLD mode on the HAI is the same as all HOLD on all thermostats. It holds to whatever temp you set it at, meaning if you have an evening mode that sets temp at 6pm to 75, the stat will auto move to 75 at 6pm. But if you are in hold mode for 77 degrees and 6pm comes, it HOLDS on 77 until you take it off hold mode. the reason you can change temp in hold mode is because they are designed that way: if you hold at 77 and change it to 76, it holds at 76. So, the hold function does exactly that, it holds it to whatever temp you set it to which means you CAN change the temp in hold mode.

Am I on the same page as you or is there a different concern?

As far as not having the stat work, I am not sure the issue. My stat is working fine and trust me, i was as green as they get (still green but getting a darker shade now, lol)

NOTE: i should say was working, all my HAI stopped a couple weeks ago with again a password issue and having been able to fix it.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:06 am

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I understand your explanation of HOLD mode and think that makes sense. My issues are related to not being able to adjust set points while in HOLD mode which is not the case if I work with the actual thermostat.

Further, I am not able to set the Auto Mode off heat and cool seem to work as advertised.
Regards,

John

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:12 am

ok, let me take a look at my commands and see if they match yours. Please hold the line caller! :)

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:16 am

OK, i think i understand. Are you using cyclestates to cycle thru your modes?

here is my command to get MODE to change/cycle to get to auto mode:

MLServeCmd.MLCycleStates|Next~TStatModes #1

does that help?

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:19 am

as far as not being able to change temp while in temp mode, sorry i cannot help you there. I have not figured out how to use the arrow keys to adjust the temp in ml, yet.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 am

Hi,

Yeah I am hip to how cycle states works. I am actually sending the command directly and it still does not go. Could be an issue with my particular brand of panel??

As I mentioned earlier, the command I am using is: MLHAI|TS~0~3~2

This should set tstat #2 to auto mode, but it does not.

The commands:

MLHAI|TS~0~0~2 (off)
MLHAI|TS~0~1~2 (heat)
MLHAI|TS~0~2~2 (cool)

all work as advertised

Can you take a peek at your cycle states table or look at your MLServer event ;log to tell me what command is being sent when you go to auto mode?

As for the temp set points, that was a bit of an adventure.

First you have to make a Server Automation Rule that when the heat and cool set points change you create companion variables (by calling a Macro) for one degree up and one degree down.

You can then call these variables to set the temp up or down with the arrows.

Loads of fun to be sure.
Regards,

John

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:35 am

OK, remember I am very green. I think this is what you are looking for?:

MLServeCmd.MLHAI|TS~0~3~1

This is the command in my cycle state to get the stat to change to auto.

your command looks right for stat two. of course mine if for stat 1 so not sure the problem. anything else i can look at?

what panel and stat are you using? odd the other modes work and the auto doesnt. doesnt make sense.
Last edited by Ranger Home Automation on Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:39 am

i will tackle the degree change once i get my HAI plugin to work again (password issues again, not sure why, i didnt change anything, sigh).

by the way, do you have issues with ml updating what the actual stat says? IE, when you change modes, does it take sometimes SECONDS to actually reflect on your ml scene? that is my biggest issue and that is exactly what will keep me from using ml in a production environment. there is no way the WAF will work if the stat gui doesnt actually update in real time or very close to it. it can take up to 6 seconds sometimes to actually show up in ml. that simply wont work in an install outside my own home.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:44 am

Ranger Home Automation wrote:i will tackle the degree change once i get my HAI plugin to work again (password issues again, not sure why, i didnt change anything, sigh).

by the way, do you have issues with ml updating what the actual stat says? IE, when you change modes, does it take sometimes SECONDS to actually reflect on your ml scene? that is my biggest issue and that is exactly what will keep me from using ml in a production environment. there is no way the WAF will work if the stat gui doesnt actually update in real time or very close to it. it can take up to 6 seconds sometimes to actually show up in ml. that simply wont work in an install outside my own home.

Yes I have the same issue with updates. I have it on good advice that there will be an major revision to the plugin in the next few weeks that should make a world of difference in this area. The password thing is one of my issues as well. Very frustrating indeed.

Best,
Regards,

John

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:08 am

john, good to hear! the more we talk about the HAI plugin hopefully the more it gets moved up on the priority list, which is huge i am sure.

we have been hearing about an update for many many months now. looking forward to that update and hopefully it addresses the most frustrating issues: loggin in and more importantly REAL TIME updates on screen (among others of course)

dr.frazier

Postby dr.frazier » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:38 pm

Glad to see some others tackling this issue. I have pretty much abandoned using the hai plugin for control of anything secondary to the delay issue. I use it now only for monitoring.

I tried to work around the delay for thermostats as there is a command to force a poll of a particular thermostat ( i think it is mlhai|TR~ ~ ~) but the command does not work. Reported a long time ago but not addressed.

The problem is in the polling. When you set the temp, the thermostat sees it immediately, but it is not transferred to the plugin. If the TR command worked you could force an update when you changed the thermostat settings.

I remember having problems with logging in as well a long time ago. It seems I just manually edited the mlhai.ini file to change the login settings and I have not had any problem with that since. At the end of the .ini file try to manually set the already logged in=1 and code=XXXX entries.

I hope you are right about the rewrite.

Randy

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:44 pm

ditto on the hope....if ML generic, MLOutlook, ad the new BeyondTV plugins are an indicator, a rewritten MLHAI could be very interesting. Those other plugins are solid from the start, even in Beta mode

btw, I did find a ray of sunshine keeping the MLHAI plugin and mlserver alive for extended periods of time.

I was experimenting with a digi TS serial to Ethernet port server for the physical/logical connection. Apparently shifting the procesing load off the server (com1) to an external device was helpful. I haven't had a MLHAI hang since the change, AND that has meant no password hiijinks as well.

The plugin is still sluggish, but okay as a monitoring device.....

Here's hoping for that re-write/update/......
ChrisB

Return to “MLHAI”