MLNetCallerID Plugin / MLCallerID3

MLNetCallerID supports the NetCallerID hardware and sends CallerID data to MLCallerID plugin. MLCallerID3 uses a database to store your call data. MLPhoneBook is a MainLobby view to your Outlook contacts list. MLPhoneDialer allows for dialing of a phone number for you.
Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:14 am

Vonage did that for a while until all users complained. How annoying!

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby MurrayW » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:10 pm

Anyone from Cinemar know if it is possible to get a fix or is there a workaround for the leading "1" for the call log issue ViaTalk users are having?

http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=59807&highlight=#59807

thanks,
Murray

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:15 pm

In the past week, ViaTalk has just added a configuration option to display caller ID numbers with 11, 10 or 7 digits. :D :D

So now after setting the display to 10, my caller ID logs show up with 512-468-xxxx. Now I just have to go back and undo the change I made to the number format in the database and I will be all set.

Murray

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:40 pm

See... success goes to the lazy... :lol:

jaj1701

Postby jaj1701 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:47 am

I just signed up for ViaTalk a short time ago (couldn't resist the buy 1 year, get one free deal) and appreciate your updates on the solution. I'll make sure to update my profile to send 10 digit call ID info.

Probably pulling the trigger on the Cinemar software today!

Jason

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:49 am

jjaj1701. Welcome to the Cinemar forum.
Feel free to post any questions you have when you get going.
And post your scenes and creative uses of MainLobby!

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:30 pm

Major update posted for MLCallerID. Install it and post back your findings.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:18 am

smoothtlk wrote:Major update posted for MLCallerID. Install it and post back your findings.

1. Images are displaying correctly now! :D :D
2. You can edit the number and time format through the plug-in's cmd/vars tab - no need to open the database in access to do that. :D

I encountered only 1 very minor problem:
I didn't see how to import aliases at first (it's through the file menu), so I re-created one. Then I discovered where the import alias command was and imported my aliases and logs. The call logs looked good and my old aliases imported fine. When I tried to delete the duplicate alias (it was the last record in the database) I wasn't able to delete it. I ended up deleting the duplicate alias above that one.

Good work!

Murray

jamarotta

Postby jamarotta » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:24 pm

Posted one issue in new thread titled Image not displayed on first update. Also thread on MLCallerID|Clear not working entirely correct.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:54 pm

MurrayW wrote:
smoothtlk wrote:Major update posted for MLCallerID. Install it and post back your findings.

1. Images are displaying correctly now! :D :D
2. You can edit the number and time format through the plug-in's cmd/vars tab - no need to open the database in access to do that. :D

I encountered only 1 very minor problem:
I didn't see how to import aliases at first (it's through the file menu), so I re-created one. Then I discovered where the import alias command was and imported my aliases and logs. The call logs looked good and my old aliases imported fine. When I tried to delete the duplicate alias (it was the last record in the database) I wasn't able to delete it. I ended up deleting the duplicate alias above that one.

Good work!

Murray
I guess I spoke a little too soon on the images displaying. They worked from my desktop PC, but haven't been working from my Fujitsu 3500 tablet PC. The problem seems to be navigating to the URL address contained in the {{mlcallerid_image}} variable. At present, {{mlcallerid_image}} = http://server1:6246/Images/CallerID/512762xxxx.jpg and if I put this in the browser window I get a page not found error from my Fujitsu 3500 but it displays the image from my desktop PC. Is there some configuration setting (maybe in internet explorer?) that is preventing me from getting to this internal url? If I substitute the IP address for server1 (192.168.1.204) in the URL, the image is displayed from my Fujitsu 3500 with no problems. If I go to MLServer and edit the variable so it has the IP address instead of Server1, the image displays. There are a lot of MLWeather variables and XM coverart that I am not able to display as well (they all are http://server1....). I have the same versions of MLobby (3.00.45) on both my desktop and Fujjitsu 3500 and in both cases the reference to the MLServer PC in startup is to the IP address not the Server name. I think I have the latest versions of the following:
MLServer 3.0.149
MLCallerID 3.0.214
MLNetCallerID 3.03

I am pretty sure that this is probably a windows or Internet Explorer setting, but don't know where to look.

thanks,
Murray

lathanm
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby lathanm » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:31 pm

Sounds like you have having DNS issues on your network. If you are using one of the soho routers (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link) try rebooting it to see if it the problem goes away. If not add an entry into the host file on the tablet. The host file is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
The line will look like this:
<ip address of server> <server name>
so you would have:
192.168.1.204 server1

Also make sure server1 is set with a static IP address. This eliminates allot of problems that can come up with DNS.
Hacker /n./ One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

Pass the popcorn, the movie is starting!

http://project2501.tzo.com/gallery/automation
http://project2501.tumblr.com

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:28 pm

lathanm wrote:Sounds like you have having DNS issues on your network. If you are using one of the soho routers (Linksys, Netgear, D-Link) try rebooting it to see if it the problem goes away. If not add an entry into the host file on the tablet. The host file is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
The line will look like this:
<ip address of server> <server name>
so you would have:
192.168.1.204 server1

Also make sure server1 is set with a static IP address. This eliminates allot of problems that can come up with DNS.
lathanm, Thanks! I rebooted my router but still had the problem. I added the line to the hosts file and now it works fine. I have had server1's address set as a static IP for forever.

Thanks again!

Murray

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:28 pm

lathanm, your network expertise is appreciated!
Question: this issue of localhost / DNS resolving is common...other than Policies (big, ugly subject)...what are some popular reasons why addresses don't resolve and why Hosts file mods are required in some setups? Hosts file mods seems a good way to confirm a problem, but what is the real fix typically? Don't feel bad if you have to say "It could be a zillion different things".

lathanm
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby lathanm » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:11 am

The problem with DNS is most small networks don't have their own DNS server or register correctly if they do. Soho routers are notorious for acting as DNS relays instead of servers. Relays just hand the information off to the next DNS server in the chain. Normally this is your ISP's DNS Server. This is great for internet addresses but it doesn't work for internal addresses (192.168.1., 10.x.x.x). Those addresses are not routable over the internet. So when they hit your ISP servers it drops them because it knows they aren't internet addresses.

Now why does it sometimes work, caching. MS though about a quarter step ahead on this one so each Windows box on the network looks for other Windows boxes. If they find each other one tries to become the browse master. Think of it as a mini dns server. It's job is to keep track of the other machines so when a request comes to it it can direct it to the right place. The problem is the servers tend to fight amongst themselves over who is in charge. This causes the problem you are seeing.

Another thing is the some routers are better than others at handling DNS. For example some of the better units keep track of who they hand out DHCP addresses to. Those records work like DNS. So when a request comes in to the router it first liiks at who it handed DHCP to for a maching name. If it can't find it is relays it on to your ISP.

So how to we make it work everytime? Simple add a local dns server. If you are lucky and are willing to put a little money and time into it you can buy a Win2K or 2k3 server license and build a real Windows domain. This sounds allot more complicated that is. The basic domain setup can be done in an hour. Just make sure none of your machines are running XP home because it can't "officially" join a domain. The next alternative is to move up to a more powerful router. This doesn't have to be expensive. I am running behind a freeware Linux router now and all it cost me was an old 486dx from may garage and 3 network cards. I went this route for the extras, VPN termination, content filtering, logging, DMZ functions, but you don't have to. Lastly you could add a Linux DNS server. This would mean adding another low end box to your network (Pentium 60Mhz anyone?) and downloading any Linux distro. The base installer in most includes DNS and SAMBA services without you needing to do any real work. There are even Knoppix CDs, think Linux on a bootable CD that is preconfigured, that you don't need a hard drive for. For awhile I ran my router/firewall this way. No writable hardware meant that if anything went wrong I could just reboot the box and start over.

For simplicity just stick with host files if the machines are on a wired connection and have a static IP. Make sure also to NOT add system to the host file that are using DHCP. If you do and something goes wrong you will spend a week looking everywhere except the host file for the problem. Trust me it will happen and you will feel like an idiot because you did it to yourself, I speak from experience on this one.
Hacker /n./ One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

Pass the popcorn, the movie is starting!

http://project2501.tzo.com/gallery/automation

http://project2501.tumblr.com

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:17 pm

One could also consider moving the DNS & DHCP to a piece of software running on an "always on" PC (such as the MLServer system).

I've used haneWin and SimpleDNS and they have both worked great.

Just another way to solve it if you have a fair chunk of systems in the house (I've got about a dozen systems plus a couple of NAS servers in the house so it makes a lot of sense here).

Return to “Phone Support”