Incoming call crashes MLServer

MLNetCallerID supports the NetCallerID hardware and sends CallerID data to MLCallerID plugin. MLCallerID3 uses a database to store your call data. MLPhoneBook is a MainLobby view to your Outlook contacts list. MLPhoneDialer allows for dialing of a phone number for you.
ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Incoming call crashes MLServer

Postby ebr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:39 pm

I'm evaluating MLNetCallerID/CallerID and it works most of the time but about three or four times in the past couple of days now an incoming call has completely crashed my MLServer machine - causing an automatic reboot.

MLServer 3.0.240
MLNetCallerID 3.0.5

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:59 pm

what version of MLCallerID plugin?
Simple answer is upgrade all components.

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm showing all versions as current...

(MLCallerID is 219)

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:37 pm

how do you know it was an incoming call? Can you call yourself and duplicate? Do you have logs of the problem both via MLCallerID / MLNetCallerID and MLServer logs?
Need more info to provide any help.

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:40 pm

I only suspected until yesterday. Previously, I kept coming back and finding the MLServer machine had rebooted itself for some reason. Last night we were watching a movie and my wife happened to have the portable phone with her. It rang and the machine re-booted.

It is not consistent. As I said, most of the time it works fine.

I'll go look and see what's in the MLServer log. I haven't had logging turned on for either of the callerID modules.

Is this the first time you've ever heard of such an issue?

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:15 pm

Okay, the server logs are no help. No messages in there, just the initialization messages as the server comes back up. So, its crashing either before anything gets written to the server log, or before the file is closed. I have the server log on "verbose".

I did confirm, however, that the past two crashes occurred as a call was coming in by looking at the times of the initialization messages and synching that with times of calls on my callerid box. In each case the server reboots itself a minute or so after I show a call coming in. However, this is twice in the past couple days so most calls don't cause this behaviour.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:02 pm

ebr,

What's your MLServerCmd associated with the call incoming call?

Theoretically, someone could issue a shutdown when a pariticular call comes in...doubtful, but you never know. Have you noticed if its a call from the same person?

Can you call with your cell phone and replicate?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 am

I don't have a specific command associated with an incoming call. I do have a server rule that sends a popup when the last call time variable changes.

As I said before, it is not consistent so I cannot replicate it. I see the commands processing properly on most calls. Then, about once a day a call comes in and *boom*. The machine just reboots. No messages hit the log it dies immediately. It happened again last night. If I unload the MLCallerID plugin, it does not happen.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:41 pm

Just for kicks,
Get rid of the rule for now and monitor the situation. Somehow we need to isolate what's happening.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:52 am

There is nothing in this plugin that can make the machine reboot.

This smells to me like a hardware issue, and request that you attempt to install the NetCallerID software and see what happens.

Which serial port are you using? Is this a built-in serial port or add-on hardware? If addon, then make sure that it is not sharing an interrupt. Of course, you may not have that type of control with the newer type of serial ports.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:24 am

good points krumpy,
There is also a good possibility that it has nothing at all to do with MLCaller ID. My Vista PC now is rebooting with a blue screen every two days with no rhyme or reason. Very likely a bad hardware driver, but hard to isolate. Not ready for prime time...

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:49 am

Its definitely related to an incoming call. I've watched it happen three times now as the phone rang.

I've removed my rule and will see what happens, but I agree with Krumpy that this is likely at a hardware driver level. What is making the machine re-boot is XP itself. That's what it does when it encounters an error that it cannot handle. I've seen bad memory modules cause random re-boots before but this one is not random so definitely related to either the serial port, the netCallerID hardware or one of the plugins.

I think it may be somehow in the plugin, however, because it does not happen if MLCallerID is not loaded. Or, I should say, I have not seen it happen without that plugin loaded.

I don't really want to install the netCallerId software because I just don't like installing software that old on my machine (it was designed for Win95/98).

The serial port is an add-on as my on-board one is used to control my AVR. Unfortunately device manager won't even show me the interrupt, much less let me change it.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:14 pm

Can you change to a different serial port? swap with something else that uses a serial port?

ebr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ebr » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:20 pm

gregoryx wrote:Can you change to a different serial port? swap with something else that uses a serial port?

I will try that next. However, I am convinced now that one of the ML plugins is responsible in some way for the crash. Last week the system crashed (rebooted) about once a day on a random incoming call with the plugins loaded. I was leaving town for the week so I unloaded the MLCallerID and MLNetCallerID plugins and left it to see if the machine would stay up. Came back this morning and the server is still running fine.

So, while the serial port may still have something to do with it - it is definitely the ML plugins (or processing occuring as a result of them) that are crashing the machine.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:36 pm

Well there you have it. :P

Thing is that no-one else seems to be seeing it... so if you can find a way for someone else to duplicate it then perhaps it can be worked on as a bug. In the mean time - until someone else raises their hand - it seems to be isolated to your hardware and configuration... thus all the questions and direction they're heading. :wink:

Return to “Phone Support”