Best CURRENT Media player suggestions

Please post general questions about DVDLobby here
yzpmpgq

Best CURRENT Media player suggestions

Postby yzpmpgq » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:25 pm

I have been using the Arcsoft TMT (v3) for years and it worked great. Recently, my projector died, so I went with a newer 3D version. This, of course, meant upgrading the Receiver, Disc player, etc. Now, I would like to backup 3D Blurays and play them through my media server, but TMT V3 doesn't handle that and Arcsoft has discontinued that product! What is the best option currently for a player, OR should I look at the Dune option? If so, is it fully controlled by ML and which version should I get? It looks like they discontinued the models except the HD Base 3D and it only holds 1 hard drive.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best CURRENT Media player suggestions

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:46 pm

For 3D playback you have limited options. For software players you have PowerDVD, or the hardware based Dune or Oppo players. We support all of them. Don't store your movies on a Dune Hard drive. Step up to a full NAS with RAID storage. You want to make sure your copies can survive a failed hard drive.

yzpmpgq

Postby yzpmpgq » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:36 pm

So the dune will play of the NAS? I assume this is all set in the content manager?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Yes the Dune will work fine with a NAS. There is a little configuration on the Dune to make sure it can access the SMB shares on the NAS but once it is set up everything will be smooth sailing.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:20 pm

CinemarDave wrote:For 3D playback you have limited options. For software players you have PowerDVD, or the hardware based Dune or Oppo players. We support all of them. Don't store your movies on a Dune Hard drive. Step up to a full NAS with RAID storage. You want to make sure your copies can survive a failed hard drive.

Dave,

Can the Oppo players access movies on a NAS drive? I've been using a Dune HD TV303D, but it uses BD Lite instead of full BD support, consequently it doesn't have the ability to display the BD menus. It makes watching episodes of Downton Abbey (and any multi-episode disk) a bit problematic for the family! So I'd like to consider other options that would also allow for playing DVDs (BDs) from time to time.

Thanks,

Todd

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 pm

The Oppo players are full DLNA media renderers. You can use our MediaServer/MediaPlayer driver to stream movies via DLNA from a NAS to the player. I have worked with one other customer with an Oppo-103 and it was working well.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 pm

Great!

Thank you!!

Return to “DVDLobby Questions & Answers”