Trouble Playing movies

Please post general questions about DVDLobby here
albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Trouble Playing movies

Postby albright_family » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Okay this is frustrating, I am now having trouble playing movies that I imported from Plex Media Server. The commands look correct as they are being sent out from MLServer, but I get no reaction from the AV Agent on my 2 HTPCs.

I have the Family Manager set up correctly (I Think) as follows:
ITEM # | ALIAS | DRIVER | MODEL | ZONE/ROOM | NETWORK ADDRESS | PORT
3 | Onkyo | OnkyoIntegra | Onkyo | Living Room | 192.168.2.14 | 60128
4 | VLC-LR | VLC | VLC Player | Living Room | 192.168.2.10 |Default IP Port
5 | AV-LR | AVDriver | AV Driver | Living Room | 192.168.2.10 |Default IP Port
7 | AV-Bed | AVDriver | AV Driver | Bedroom | 192.168.2.5 |Default IP Port
8 | VLC-Bed | VLC | VLC Player | Living Room | 192.168.2.5 |Default IP Port
9 | Plex_Server | Plex | Plex Server | Rack | 192.168.2.9 |Default IP Port

Here is the command I am issuing from the command building:
AV|8~PlayMovie~\\192.168.2.9\Movies\Movies-MP4\Anastasia (1997).mp4

The VLC Driver shows:
ProcessComand - Cmd=[8~PlayMovie~\\192.168.2.9\Movies\Movies-MP4\Anastasia (1997).mp4] Client=[testClient]

However AV Agent on the HTPC does not receive anything. I have already turned off the firewall on both the server and clients to no change. The AV Agent does see the connection and it is labeled as connected in both the driver and AV Agent.

When I process the same command instead using the AVDriver:
AV|7~PlayMovie~\\192.168.2.9\Movies\Movies-MP4\Anastasia (1997).mp4

The AV Driver shows:
ProcessComand - Cmd=[7~PlayMovie~\\192.168.2.9\Movies\Movies-MP4\Anastasia (1997).mp4] Client=[testClient]

And the AV Agent shows:
ProcessCommand - Cmd[AVDriver~PlayMovie~\\192.168.2.9\Movies\Movies-MP4\Anastasia (1997).mp4] Client=[AV-Bed]

However the movie does not start playing. If I put the movie location directly into the Run command on the HTPC, it starts up without any fuss (however in a small VLC window).

What on earth am I missing????? I have been pounding my head into the wall for the past hour or so.

Thank you in advance

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Trouble Playing movies

Postby Oronomus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Reveal the column for "Associated Player" in the Content Manager and tell us what it says for this movie. I had a problem with this setting recently, and remember being frustrated because I got no feedback that something was wrong. If you start a movie with an AV|x command, I think the setting should be "AV Family" in this column.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Oronomus wrote:Reveal the column for "Associated Player" in the Content Manager and tell us what it says for this movie. I had a problem with this setting recently, and remember being frustrated because I got no feedback that something was wrong. If you start a movie with an AV|x command, I think the setting should be "AV Family" in this column.

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately all movies are already assigned to the Associated Player of AV Family already.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:32 pm

I have been trying a lot of different commands from the QuickCommands window in MLServer, some of these are:
DVDLobby|PlayMovie~56~1 (my test movie)
AV|7~PlayMovie~{{movies_selection_moviefile_{{clientname}}}}
AV|7~PlayMovie~{{movies_selection_moviefile_testClient}}
AV|8~PlayMovie~{{movies_selection_moviefile_{{clientname}}}}
AV|8~PlayMovie~{{movies_selection_moviefile_testClient}}

If I send the command through AV|7 then a line does show up on the HTPC AV Agent, but VLC does not launch. (VLC has not launched at all from ML, but will work just fine running locally with the mouse). Do I need to use a different media player? I am really at my wits end on this.
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm

So I have found a TEMPORARY solution, I have loaded the Plex Client's into MLServer, and then the files will play through the plex client with ML as its control interface. Why will VLC not work? I am running version 2.1.0 Rincewind, should I be running version 2.0.3 (as is indicated in the Installation Assistant)??

Please help me.

---EDIT---
I just downgraded to version 2.0.3 (the version that was in the installation assistant) and still no joy with VLC. What is going on? I am REALLY confused.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:26 pm

That was all my problem. I fixed one issue last month and created another. Today's VLC driver update gets it working. I'm using VLC 2.1.0 here for testing.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:07 pm

CinemarDave wrote:That was all my problem. I fixed one issue last month and created another. Today's VLC driver update gets it working. I'm using VLC 2.1.0 here for testing.

Well that is a relief, I was banging my head into the wall for about 7 hours yesterday trying to figure it out. I will test it out when I get home from work.
Thank you

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:59 pm

So it now plays the movie as it should, however the variables for movies_nowplaying are not being updated. When I select Play movie, I have ML go to a popup screen which gives the user the question of which display to play that movie on (Living Room, Master Bedroom, Maria's Room, Spare Bedroom, Kitchen), it then executes this macro:

Macro|
SetVariable|movies_activeplayerid_{{clientname}}~8!
SetVariable|movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}~vlc-bed!
MLCmd|{{clientname}}~unloadLayer|3!
DVDLobby|PlayMovie~{{movies_selection_dvdnumber_{{clientname}}}}~{{movies_selection_discnumber_{{clientname}}}}

Also the layer 3 does not disappear, but if I hit the 'Cancel' button, which only has this:
MLCmd|{{clientname}}~unloadLayer|3

It unloads the layer correctly.

When this gets ran from ML Client, it looks like it is wanting to run, it translates all of the above commands, the DVDLobby command gets translated down to:
DVDLobby|PlayMovie~6~1

However that is where it stops, it doesn't actually process the PlayMovie command and start playing it on the HTPC Client. HOWEVER if I take that same command and put it into the QuickCommands on MLServer (and then tell MLServer that it is using client testClient, it plays correctly on the HTPC Client, but it only updates the nowplaying variables for 'movies_nowplaying_title_' (notice the lack of clientname at the end there).

What am I doing wrong, I know it should be something simple.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:40 am

I do not know why your macro is not running on the client. It all looks correct. I'd move the unload to the end.

The DVDLobby Playmovie command takes an optional 3rd parameter that is used for the play location. Move your macro from the MainLobby scene and make it a system macro.

Assuming you call the new macro "PlayAMovie" it would look like this

Macro|
SetVariable|movies_activeplayerid_{{clientname}}~<p1>!
SetVariable|movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}~<p2>!
DVDLobby|PlayMovie~{{movies_selection_dvdnumber_{{clientname}}}}~{{movies_selection_discnumber_{{clientname}}}}~{{movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}}}!

From MainLobby you would call it like

PlayAMovie|8~vlc-bed

You will then see variables like movies_nowplaying_title_vlc-bed being created.

In the DVDLobby now playing scene you will use variables like {{movies_nowplaying_title_{{movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}}}}}

All the various play locations can then call the same macro passing in the appropriate variables.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 pm

9 | Plex_Server | Plex | Plex Server | Rack | 192.168.2.9 |Default IP Port

Plex?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:49 pm

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:28 am

CinemarDave wrote:I do not know why your macro is not running on the client. It all looks correct. I'd move the unload to the end.

The DVDLobby Playmovie command takes an optional 3rd parameter that is used for the play location. Move your macro from the MainLobby scene and make it a system macro.

Assuming you call the new macro "PlayAMovie" it would look like this

Macro|
SetVariable|movies_activeplayerid_{{clientname}}~<p1>!
SetVariable|movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}~<p2>!
DVDLobby|PlayMovie~{{movies_selection_dvdnumber_{{clientname}}}}~{{movies_selection_discnumber_{{clientname}}}}~{{movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}}}!

From MainLobby you would call it like

PlayAMovie|8~vlc-bed

You will then see variables like movies_nowplaying_title_vlc-bed being created.

In the DVDLobby now playing scene you will use variables like {{movies_nowplaying_title_{{movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}}}}}

All the various play locations can then call the same macro passing in the appropriate variables.

Awesome!! Worked like a champ. You may want to update the command building, it does not reflect the optional 3rd parameter for what player to play movies to. (Had you not mentioned it, I doubt I would have ever known that). THANK YOU!!

Now to get the rest of my screens updated and working. That is going to be a long punchlist.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Small problem I am noticed a problem with the commands that you had me enter.

When playing a movie as depicted above, it does play correctly, but DVDLobby only sets the transport source for the client that played the file. How would I set that up on a per room basis, versus a per client basis?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 am

I just modified DVDLobby to accept an optional location parameter on the MakeSource command. Modify your DVDLobby playmovie command and change the MakeSource command to something like DVDLobby|MakeSource~AV Family~{{movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}}}. You should see all the transport variables end with the play location instead of the default clientname.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks Dave, worked like a charm.

Return to “DVDLobby Questions & Answers”